Saturday, December 22, 2007

Happy Winter Solstice!

In my pagen heart I am all for celebrating the days getting longer! YAY! Darkness at 4:30 can be a bit much... It's also that amazing sense that everything is constantly changing and that's just how it is - and I love that - no control. The only constant is change.

"the sun rules the day,
and the moon rules the night,
and the stars bring light to the darkness"
Something I borrowed from Luke from Miss Lulu's myspace page...



Invierno (winter), 1573 
Giuseppe Arcimboldo 
Musee du Louvre

"Winter Solstice marks the longest night of the year. It is from this point that the days begin slowly to become longer and longer. The sun is at its most southeastern point over the Tropic of Capricorn in the northern hemisphere and has no apparent northward or southward motion. In the time of the ancient tribes this was a time of celebration, for it meant the turning point of winter and the eventual return of spring."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i see where you've moved on from this blog but wondering who made the beautiful art of the young person holding a candle?

i am organizing a winter solstice arts day for my son and his fellow kindergarteners and wanted to credit the artist.

thanks--maybe you could let me know on my blog? maybe on the about page or maybe i'll post this image and you'll turn up in the comments there!