Thursday, July 5, 2007

Bad Squirrels!

Those stinkers have been digging around on the fire escape. One looks dead for sure.



I found this online...
cayenne pepper squirrel repellent

Recipe for squirrel repellent:-

1) 1 bottle (small) hot pepper sauce

2) 1 gallon water

3) water retentative (available from plant nursery) or 1 teaspoon of mild liquid detergent such as dishwashing detergent.

Spray this repellent on plants or anything you would like protected from chewing. Many commercial products designed to repel rodents are not effective. In fact, some say the animals actually eat more of the plants after the repellent is applied.

2 comments:

Luke Pryjma said...

Awesome. I want to meet that one squirrel who likes the spice. Please keep me informed.

vergelimbo said...

"Squirrels are just rats with fuzzy tails", my mum used to say.

I've been a fire-escape gardener for some time now and can totally relate to the digging terror caused by these critters-especially on freshly planted seedlings!
I opted for a structural approach to the problem: lay sections of chicken mesh over the containers, cutting out "squares" as needed when your plants grow.
Works great...you can wrap the mesh around the lips of your containers for a firm fit.

I recently posted an article on urban gardening on my blog:
www.vergelimbo.com

Leave me a comment

"Green Thumbs Up" on your blog!